With the movie coming out soon I thought I’d do a quick article or two about Ol’Pennywise the killer clown. This first post is just a few interesting facts about Pennywise that helps to sort of explaining the monster. IT (Pennywise) has some really simple motivations and those motivations I think make it scarier more so than the actions it takes. I love it when the reason is more terrifying than the act.
- IT (Pennywise) hibernates for some 25-30 years and wakes up during some horrible catastrophe or act of violence.
- It assumes the form of anything it wants, in order to terrify human beings, especially children, whose fears are easy to manifest. (Reasons for scaring people explained later)
- But its most common disguise is a clown carrying balloons that float against the wind.
- At one point the monster comes to the Character Bill disguised as Count Dracula with razor blades for teeth and starts biting into its own lips just to horrify Bill.
- The IT creature thinks humans taste better when they are terrified. Making it’s torture or scaring of people really just like you or I adding salt or ketchup to our fries.
- IT appears as a spider because it’s the most common fear of humans. (Personally, I would have thought it’d be snakes)
I like Pennywise. I think he’s an interesting monster. I expect that in the new movie the lore around him will be expanded a little and we will get to know more. That’d be great. Although IT being simply a being that wants to scare kids to make them states better because it evolved to have humans as it’s primary food source is good enough for me.
I haven’t read the book in its entirety. I like the monster and the movie but I’m not 100% sure I’ve ever finished Steven Kings Novels. His short story collections are great. I finish those. But then, we all have different tastes.
I don’t just Blog about great horror, I write too! Find some here!